Author Topic: Steam protocol  (Read 271653 times)

Offline Smiling Spectre

Re: Steam protocol
« Reply #450 on: 31 08 2017, 20:38:43 »
Hello, Robyer

After long streak mostly good versions (random crash was here all this time on Steam timeouts, but was quite rare), Miranda was updated - and today Steam plugin updated and got new bug. I have 0.11.6.1 version since today, BTW.

Bug is: every message from my Miranda successfully transferred into Steam and shown in Steam chat window. Every friend reply shown in Steam chat, just as in Miranda window too. But every _my_ message made in Steam chat got lost - it never appears in Miranda Steam window.

Can it be fixed? It worked just yesterday!

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #451 on: 31 08 2017, 21:22:59 »
It is most definitely because of https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/de62bd9aed937611d196639eb9f1c52487557d16

Without this "quick and dirty" workaround, all of the messages sent by you from miranda were shown twice. But the unfortunate side effect of it is that messages sent from outside miranda are not shown at all.

Robyer will probably look at this when he has time.. until then, you'll have to revert and chat only from outside miranda, or keep the current version and only chat from within miranda.

Offline Smiling Spectre

« Reply #452 on: 03 09 2017, 09:37:07 »
Without this "quick and dirty" workaround, all of the messages sent by you from miranda were shown twice.
Ah. It was _this_ fix. Thank you for the info.

I seen something strange today. After start, Steam plugin deleted three of my friends from contact list, destroying history and group position. And right after that it added it back as "new" one, in "Steam" group and empty history. What happened?!

P.S. And I have too much crashes now in Miranda. :| It _was_ Steam-related before, but happened like 1-2 times per week, not counting channel issues. Now it's about twice per day. But I am not sure that it's _Steam_ fault, unfortunately. Maybe it's something other broken after update.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #453 on: 03 09 2017, 09:48:29 »
That could have been caused by https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/fdf4ca9cfb31f8a2776849c33b7321af3c979b3b .

Miranda for some reason used to create duplicate contacts. Do you have netlog from the issue you encountered?

Offline Robyer

« Reply #454 on: 03 09 2017, 12:21:10 »
Steam plugin itself shouldn't delete any contacts or their history (at least as far as I remember). This may show some different problem, together with the crashes.

Anyway if you have crashes twice per day, try to disable steam for a day and check if it continue crashing.
Also install debug symbols and provide crash reports - make tickets on https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Smiling Spectre

« Reply #455 on: 11 09 2017, 16:31:57 »
Steam plugin itself shouldn't delete any contacts or their history (at least as far as I remember). This may show some different problem, together with the crashes.
This was only once so far, for two contacts, and yes, now I believe that it was more global Miranda problem then Steam - because history returned by itself after next miranda.exe update (they are too numerous this days, so I cannot say which exact update).
Anyway if you have crashes twice per day, try to disable steam for a day and check if it continue crashing.
Also install debug symbols and provide crash reports - make tickets on https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues
Well, I still hope that it will self-fixed... So far crashes became rarer (but still too frequent). But I'll explore your crash report suggestion, thank you.
---
Update: It seems, I had crash reports already. But without debug symbols. I installed it... but it did nothing, it seems. Maybe I did something wrong. :(

All reports, including today, looks like that (it's always about libeay32, but sometimes others are here too). This quote is everything before machine info:
Code: [Select]
7089B93F (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): SHA512
7089207B (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): CRYPTO_get_new_dynlockid
70898CC9 (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): SHA512
70897B3C (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): SHA1_Update
70898CC9 (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): SHA512
70897B54 (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): SHA1_Update
708FA25D (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): RAND_SSLeay
708FB083 (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): RAND_add
708FB3B3 (LIBEAY32 70890000): (filename not available) (0): RAND_egd_bytes

I opened issue on GitHub with that log.

UPD2: Oh, it seems, I forgot Miranda32.pdb. It's not in plugins, so I overlooked it...
« Last Edit: 13 09 2017, 21:35:50 by Smiling Spectre »

Offline Smiling Spectre

« Reply #456 on: 14 09 2017, 16:00:06 »
I got answer from some dartraiden on Github. He suggested to remove OpenSSL from the plugins.

Unfortunately, I installed it first time exactly because I need Steam in my Miranda on WinXP! :)

So most probably it's not Steam. But it connected with Steam. And it seems there is no simple solution for this. *sigh*

Offline Ratha

« Reply #457 on: 26 11 2017, 09:49:37 »
Ah. It was _this_ fix. Thank you for the info.

I seen something strange today. After start, Steam plugin deleted three of my friends from contact list, destroying history and group position. And right after that it added it back as "new" one, in "Steam" group and empty history. What happened?!

P.S. And I have too much crashes now in Miranda. :| It _was_ Steam-related before, but happened like 1-2 times per week, not counting channel issues. Now it's about twice per day. But I am not sure that it's _Steam_ fault, unfortunately. Maybe it's something other broken after update.

I just recently updated to 0.95.8 #18808 and noticed that none of the messages i type into the steam window show up in the miranda log anymore. I guess this would explain why I've been losing chats and history lately.

Does anyone have the steam.dll from before the Aug 30 update that would work with the new version of Miranda, or is there a backup or snapshot of Miranda from before that update available somewhere?

The issue that appeared on around 2017-08-29 with the dual messages showing up in the Steam chat history was actually an issue with Steam / the Steam servers themselves as far as I could tell. It took about 2 days for the problem to resolve itself, but it went away for me without the need to update Miranda. Someone might want to check into this and or possibly issue a reversion if Miranda no longer logs dual messages. (Im fairly sure that it wont as the previous version i had been using was from June 2017 and i wasnt getting or sending duplicates.)

EDIT: I found a backup that I had made and copied the old steam.dll from 2017-06-20 back into my plugins directory. Messages sent and received are not duplicated, and messages typed into the steam chat window properly show up in the miranda log. Unless theres still a reason to keep the duplicate message fix, i think a reversion to restore functionality might be the way to go?
« Last Edit: 26 11 2017, 10:20:18 by Ratha »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #458 on: 26 11 2017, 09:58:39 »
I'm sure the commit I referenced earlier ( https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/de62bd9aed937611d196639eb9f1c52487557d16 ) is the cause of this, perhaps a better way of handling it is required - but I don't know if Robyer has time to work on it.

Offline Ratha

« Reply #459 on: 26 11 2017, 10:15:51 »
I updated my previous post with a confirmation that testing an older .dll file does not cause duplicate messages to be sent, or logged. (As far as I can observe as a user anyway.) and also restores the functionality of logging messages sent from the Steam window.

If anyone needs it, i've attached my old steam.dll incase its useful. Its a bit of a 'use at your own risk' as I dont know if it might cause other issues with the new Miranda, but seems to work fine with only a few minutes of testing. In case anyone is worried about viruses, heres a VirusTotal report: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e487ff40ce7456a7ec4f974818ce3876ba0b3dfa8f16a8de540709f7bed3a4d6/analysis/1511691013/

This brings up a bit of an important issue: Does Miranda have nightly snapshots of the dev builds backed up anywhere incase of this very sort of problem? On more than one occasion I've thought that it'd be a good idea to have an archive for those of us who cant compile our own versions. It'd give us the ability to test different versions to narrow down where a problem came from anyway. (But as noted we already know where this one stems from.)
« Last Edit: 26 11 2017, 10:23:15 by Ratha »

Offline Robyer

« Reply #460 on: 26 11 2017, 10:42:28 »
Ratha, ok, I reverted that commit, so it should work again now (in next development build, tomorrow).
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline SpinalBlood

« Reply #461 on: 26 11 2017, 20:15:08 »
I have tested a program called Nox (Android emulator) and Pidgin. I can connect and talk successfully with both of them

It also works here: https://steamcommunity.com/mobilelogin/

It's then sure that there is no limitation on my account. But now I have tried Miranda again and it is still not connecting

My account still has this problem

Offline Ratha

« Reply #462 on: 26 11 2017, 21:25:26 »
My account still has this problem

Can you provide any additional information about your account that might be relevant: (A link to your non-private steam profile might be helpful.) You say your main account does not work in Miranda, but your other account does? What are the main differences between those accounts? Did you do stuff like re-check your login info entered into Miranda? Generally when connecting from a new machine/device with Steam Guard on you should get sent an email with a code to verify your login, are you getting this email / are you entering this information / are you seeing the password popup. Do you use any special ascii characters in your username or password or anything like that? Might be helpful to know some of these things to try and help solve the issue or figure out whats going on.

Edit: Also knowing which version of Miranda you're running as well as if you're using any other plugins would potentially be good too. Really old versions of Miranda had problems with steam accounts set to use Steam's Mobile Authenticator for example, but worked fine for Steam Guard accounts. (For versions that are over a year old anyway.)

Edit 2: I do experience an occasional issue where Miranda will say its connecting to Steam, but never actually connect. Im not sure if this is related to the Steam community servers being down (as usually i can log into the steam client just fine, but not Miranda) or if its some kind of bug in Miranda. To fix this usually i have to close Miranda and wait a few minutes so that any failed connection attempts have timed out, then open it again. --- The former 'bug' also often leads to an issue with the Steam protocol where if you log off and back on very quickly, sometimes Miranda will say you're online, but all of your contacts will still show as offline, yet some of them might have game symbols next to them. What I believe is happening is that Steam probably only sends Miranda a full contact list status update every so often, if you've already gotten one recently, Steam will only send updates to you when a contact changes their status (logs on / idles / starts a new game.) thus causing everyone to show as offline except anyone who has changed since. Logging off and then back on after 2-5 minutes will usually fix this, but sometimes I close the client anyway just to make sure its not some kind of memory leak.
« Last Edit: 26 11 2017, 22:25:19 by Ratha »

The following users thanked this post: SpinalBlood

Offline Ratha

« Reply #463 on: 29 11 2017, 06:49:26 »
EDIT - And just as quickly as it started, it seems to have stopped again before I could update and setup the logging process. From the time I noticed it to the time it had stopped was around 25 minutes.

-

Looks like Steam servers just started with its duplicate messages thing again (showing duplicate sent and received messages in history, but not seemingly sending duplicate messages to other Steam clients.) Seems to have started within the last 15-90 minutes. Pretty terrible timing for this to show back up again right after issuing a reversion to the patch that was supposed to fix that problem.

Will try and get a netlog and see if I cant provide some useful information about whats actually going on. Gotta perform a backup and update to the newest client before doing that however. (I hadnt even updated to the latest build with the reversion in it yet and was still using the June 20 Steam.dll and it had been working fine, so have to assume its once again a random / intermittent issue with the Steam servers.)

A side note: For those of you who are getting duplicate messages, running DbChecker will remove them from history.
« Last Edit: 29 11 2017, 07:04:30 by Ratha »

The following users thanked this post: SpinalBlood

Offline SpinalBlood

« Reply #464 on: 03 12 2017, 00:43:32 »
Can you provide any additional information about your account that might be relevant: (A link to your non-private steam profile might be helpful.) You say your main account does not work in Miranda, but your other account does? What are the main differences between those accounts? Did you do stuff like re-check your login info entered into Miranda? Generally when connecting from a new machine/device with Steam Guard on you should get sent an email with a code to verify your login, are you getting this email / are you entering this information / are you seeing the password popup. Do you use any special ascii characters in your username or password or anything like that? Might be helpful to know some of these things to try and help solve the issue or figure out whats going on.

Edit: Also knowing which version of Miranda you're running as well as if you're using any other plugins would potentially be good too. Really old versions of Miranda had problems with steam accounts set to use Steam's Mobile Authenticator for example, but worked fine for Steam Guard accounts. (For versions that are over a year old anyway.)

Edit 2: I do experience an occasional issue where Miranda will say its connecting to Steam, but never actually connect. Im not sure if this is related to the Steam community servers being down (as usually i can log into the steam client just fine, but not Miranda) or if its some kind of bug in Miranda. To fix this usually i have to close Miranda and wait a few minutes so that any failed connection attempts have timed out, then open it again. --- The former 'bug' also often leads to an issue with the Steam protocol where if you log off and back on very quickly, sometimes Miranda will say you're online, but all of your contacts will still show as offline, yet some of them might have game symbols next to them. What I believe is happening is that Steam probably only sends Miranda a full contact list status update every so often, if you've already gotten one recently, Steam will only send updates to you when a contact changes their status (logs on / idles / starts a new game.) thus causing everyone to show as offline except anyone who has changed since. Logging off and then back on after 2-5 minutes will usually fix this, but sometimes I close the client anyway just to make sure its not some kind of memory leak.

- What do you mean non-private? That being private might be a problem for Miranda? Actually I did set my account as private, but I tried now to revert it to public and the login didn't work anyway
- The account where I can login is a brand new one, even though I can't add anyone since I didn't use any money in it, it can still be shown as "online", something that doesn't happen with my main account (there is the icon where the circle is loading, and it's stuck in that state)
- I'm always using latest miranda + plugin nightly versions
- I tried both with steam guard enabled and disabled. When this problem started, steam guard was enabled, and previously I would receive sometimes captcha codes (only once in a while, I don't know the reason for this) but once inserted I could login fine. Not anymore, and no error popups
- No special characters in the password, it's just a long one. But the problem started when the password was much simpler, changing it didn't resolve
- I remember the offline contacts problem, happened from time to time. Trying to login again just fixed it most of the times. On the other hand my account problem has 0% chance of success in login, but I can login with different programs (see previous post)