Author Topic: Steam protocol  (Read 271204 times)

Offline Robyer

Re: Steam protocol
« Reply #360 on: 15 02 2016, 02:14:06 »
The only thing that i dont like about it so far is that if you send a message through Miranda while Steam is open (but in offline mode) the plugin will still open a copy of the Steam chat window on your taskbar anyway. If i had to venture a guess at whats happening: When Steam is open, Miranda hooks into the Steam client and uses that to send the message. But when Steam is closed, it uses the mobile/web messenger protocol instead?

I don't know if you are talking about Steam client behavior or Miranda behavior. But if you send message from Miranda, it is always sent over mobile website. If Steam client opens the contact window anyway, that's his problem (or feature).

I also took the opportunity to try Metacontacts for the first time today but was disappointed to see that Metacontacts couldnt display the 'currently in a game' icon from the Steam plugin. Is this a limitation with Metacontacts, or a limitation with the Steam plugin, or perhaps because i still use the classic contact list?

The icon is classic "xstatus" icon, so, it's probably limitation of MetaContacts plugin. Or more likely it depends on your main and other subcontacts in the metacontact. I think it copies the extra icons only from the main subcontact? Ghazan could answer better (as he was implementing it to core), so you could ask him about this thing.

Additionally, is there a way to disable Miranda from logging (and displaying) the [User] "closed chat session" status message whenever a Steam contact closes their Steam chat window?

At the moment there is no way to disable it from user point of view. But someone (either myself, but not sooner than on weekend, or anybody else from devs) should add an option for it :-)
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Ratha

« Reply #361 on: 15 02 2016, 07:15:28 »
Quote from: Ratha on Today at 00:36:26

The only thing that i dont like about it so far is that if you send a message through Miranda while Steam is open (but in offline mode) the plugin will still open a copy of the Steam chat window on your taskbar anyway. If i had to venture a guess at whats happening: When Steam is open, Miranda hooks into the Steam client and uses that to send the message. But when Steam is closed, it uses the mobile/web messenger protocol instead?

I don't know if you are talking about Steam client behavior or Miranda behavior. But if you send message from Miranda, it is always sent over mobile website. If Steam client opens the contact window anyway, that's his problem (or feature).

This is a Miranda + Steam Protocol behavior. Im not sure why sending a message with Miranda to another steam user causes Steam to open its own chat window. This happens when the Steam client's friends mode is set to online -or- offline though. It does not seem to happen if you send a message through your browser to another Steam user when Steam is open, only if you send a message to a Steam user using Miranda while Steam is open. (Windows 7 x64 / Miranda 0.95.5 #16275).

Quote from: Ratha on Today at 00:36:26

I also took the opportunity to try Metacontacts for the first time today but was disappointed to see that Metacontacts couldnt display the 'currently in a game' icon from the Steam plugin. Is this a limitation with Metacontacts, or a limitation with the Steam plugin, or perhaps because i still use the classic contact list?

The icon is classic "xstatus" icon, so, it's probably limitation of MetaContacts plugin. Or more likely it depends on your main and other subcontacts in the metacontact. I think it copies the extra icons only from the main subcontact? Ghazan could answer better (as he was implementing it to core), so you could ask him about this thing.

Thanks for the info. I couldnt seem to find much information about the Metacontacts plugin on the NG forums, but i will try to track him down to ask him when i get a little more free time. :)

Quote from: Ratha on Today at 01:47:26

Additionally, is there a way to disable Miranda from logging (and displaying) the [User] "closed chat session" status message whenever a Steam contact closes their Steam chat window?

At the moment there is no way to disable it from user point of view. But someone (either myself, but not sooner than on weekend, or anybody else from devs) should add an option for it :-)

Having the option to disable the logging and display of that status message would certainly be a welcome addition for a future update. :)

« Last Edit: 15 02 2016, 07:18:01 by Ratha »

Offline Robyer

« Reply #362 on: 17 02 2016, 04:12:06 »
This is a Miranda + Steam Protocol behavior. Im not sure why sending a message with Miranda to another steam user causes Steam to open its own chat window. This happens when the Steam client's friends mode is set to online -or- offline though. It does not seem to happen if you send a message through your browser to another Steam user when Steam is open, only if you send a message to a Steam user using Miranda while Steam is open.
Hmm, that's weird. But probably it's because Miranda is using Mobile API for communication, so you may check that (instead of only Web API). There is no direct support of running Steam client.

Having the option to disable the logging and display of that status message would certainly be a welcome addition for a future update.
Commited.
« Last Edit: 17 02 2016, 04:30:06 by Robyer »
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Ratha

« Reply #363 on: 17 02 2016, 08:19:20 »
Commited.

EDIT: Problem resolved.. Thanks Robyer, much appreciated!

I see that you committed this update, and confirmed that with a Miranda + Steam protocol update: Miranda 0.95.5 #16288 and Steam 0.11.5.1.
But with that said, I was unable to find the option to disable the chat events and confirmed that they were still both logging and displaying in the history and the chat window by default. My (admittedly somewhat limited) ability to read and understand the commits suggests that the intention was to create an option just beneath the 'show bigger avatars' checkbox in the Steam protocol options window but it does not appear there for me. (Turns out that i was loading two different steam protocols, whoops.)

Am i perhaps looking in the wrong place for the option? (Also, thanks for being so quick in trying to implement this feature.)
« Last Edit: 17 02 2016, 09:03:06 by Ratha »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #364 on: 17 02 2016, 08:32:56 »
I see that you committed this update, and confirmed that with a Miranda + Steam protocol update: Miranda 0.95.5 #16288 and Steam 0.11.5.1.

A commit means that it is in the code, and whenever Watcher compiles it (usually 1x per day unless some big work is being done in core, in which case it is less often).

Please wait for tomorrow and check for updates then, you should get the compiled plugin which contains the newly committed code. :)

EDIT:

I can see it there.

Miranda options->Network->steam's account name->right there.

« Last Edit: 17 02 2016, 08:41:58 by Vulpix »

Offline Ratha

« Reply #365 on: 17 02 2016, 08:41:33 »
A commit means that it is in the code, and whenever Watcher compiles it (usually 1x per day unless some big work is being done in core, in which case it is less often).

Please wait for tomorrow and check for updates then, you should get the compiled plugin which contains the newly committed code. :)

Edit, my apologies, i am in fact an idiot.. I made a backup of the older plugin before updating and because i forgot to remove .dll from the end of the file name, Miranda was attempting to load both the old and the new Steam protocol (I overlooked this when checking the protocol version, somehow.) After -properly- backing up / removing the old plugin, the new option now shows and appears to be working as intended. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 17 02 2016, 09:01:16 by Ratha »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #366 on: 17 02 2016, 09:17:26 »
I made a backup of the older plugin before updating and because i forgot to remove .dll from the end of the file name, Miranda was attempting to load both the old and the new Steam protocol (I overlooked this when checking the protocol version, somehow.)

Since (not sure which version), you don't actually need to do this.

Miranda will make plugin backups automatically during plugin updates; you can find the previous versions of the plugins in "<miranda_base_folder>\Plugin Updates\Backups\Plugins\". You can just grab the old versions from there when you find something breaks after you update. That way you can avoid what just happened to you, hehe.

Offline Ratha

« Reply #367 on: 05 03 2016, 19:38:50 »
Im using Tipper to get on-hover popups with status text when someone is playing a game, but Tipper has some bugs which cause it not to display popups in the current Dev builds of Miranda NG. Notably one bug which causes it not to display popups if you have an active TeamViewer connection, and another one which causes it not to display traytip popups. This can make seeing which games people are in quite difficult as i dont think there is any other way to read xstatus messages for the Steam protocol at the moment is there? (And there seems to be no alternative to Tipper or so im told?)

Would there be any interest in implementing a 'read Xstatus message' menu option at some point for the Steam protocol? With ICQ and Yahoo you can right click a user and read their online/away status messages even for contacts who dont have a status message set. Seems like this would useful functionality for the Steam protocol to have as well.

Additionally, a right-click menu item that took you to a Steam user's profile page would be really handy too i think. (Right now i think the only way to get to a user's profile is to right click the user, go to user details, select background info tab, and then click on the link?) Simplifying this process to Right-click > 'View Steam Profile' would make an excellent addition to the contact list menu.

I still cant quite figure out why Steam opens its own message window whenever i send someone a message -from- Miranda. Im not sure if this is a bug or if its intended behavior, but if its intended id be curious what function it serves. It does not seem like its necessary since it does not happen if steam completely closed, but it will happen when the Steam client is open and set to online or offline. With that said though, you guys seem to have done a pretty good job with the protocol so far. Im impressed with how well it works overall.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #368 on: 05 03 2016, 20:43:36 »
Would there be any interest in implementing a 'read Xstatus message' menu option at some point for the Steam protocol?
I thought it works for Steam too, but I have no time to test it now. Make a ticket if it really doesn't work.

Additionally, a right-click menu item that took you to a Steam user's profile page would be really handy too i think.
I agree, make a ticket please. I (or someone else) will implement it someday.  See Vulpix's answer below.

I still cant quite figure out why Steam opens its own message window whenever i send someone a message -from- Miranda. Im not sure if this is a bug or if its intended behavior
It's not intended and I answered this few posts back:

Hmm, that's weird. But probably it's because Miranda is using Mobile API for communication, so you may check that (instead of only Web API). There is no direct support of running Steam client.

These should be better discussed in Tipper's thread. I'll answer quickly here, but for future discussion about tipper use it's thread please :)

Notably one bug which causes it not to display popups if you have an active TeamViewer connection, and another one which causes it not to display traytip popups.
Isn't first problem related to enabled option "Don't show tips when in fullscreen mode" ( something like that, I'm guessing the name)? Try to disable it and try again.
And there were some fixes to (not) displaying systray tips recently (some weeks/months back). Could you say it works better or worse than in latest stable version?

as i dont think there is any other way to read xstatus messages for the Steam protocol at the moment is there? (And there seems to be no alternative to Tipper or so im told?)
As a workaround you can show the xstatus as second/third line in Clist (clist_modern).
And there is no alternative to Tipper but that's not needed as it's better to fix bugs there (if you report them and someone has time to do it) :-)
« Last Edit: 05 03 2016, 21:29:58 by Robyer »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #369 on: 05 03 2016, 21:05:23 »
I agree, make a ticket please. I (or someone else) will implement it someday.

This already works. Right click->Homepage :)

Offline Ratha

« Reply #370 on: 06 03 2016, 06:03:16 »
Quote from: Ratha on 05 03 2016, 19:38:50

Would there be any interest in implementing a 'read Xstatus message' menu option at some point for the Steam protocol?

I thought it works for Steam too, but I have no time to test it now. Make a ticket if it really doesn't work.

As far as i can tell, theres no option to read an x-status message for Steam like there is with other protocols to read online/away/busy messages. Ill try to post a bug report / feature request? about this soon.

Quote from: Robyer on 05 03 2016, 20:43:36

This already works. Right click->Homepage

Regarding right click to visit homepage: Is this perhaps not a feature of ClistClassic? I cannot seem to find an option to enable this anywhere. I do have two options in my Contact List Menu settings which are "&Show Profile" which call Service: 8f9b16c6ab534242be90e24aa5738832. I cant actually turn either of them on in the Dev build. (Upon further testing by looking at my old 95.4 client, both of these options used to show up as: Yahoo_Username/Yahoo_Username/YahooShowProfileCommand, so thats perhaps a different bug entirely.

My old Miranda 95.4 #13028 (Stable?) had an option for "/SRUrl/SendCommand" "Web page address (&URL)" under the Customize > Menus > Contact Menu section. This option seems to be missing from my profile in Miranda 0.95.5 #16380 Dev and a clean install of 0.95.5 #16436 Dev. What version of Miranda are you using where you have this option for Steam?

Quote from: Robyer on 17 02 2016, 04:12:06

Regarding Steam client opening its own message windows when sending through Miranda: Didnt realize you had answered, i didnt see anyone else confirm that this was also happening to them, so i thought you were just taking a wild guess when you said it was weird. As far as i can tell there are no options to select which method the protocol uses (Mobile/Web) or alter this (seemingly undesired?) behavior, so should i submit this as a bug report?

Quote from: Ratha on 05 03 2016, 19:38:50

Notably one bug which causes it not to display popups if you have an active TeamViewer connection, and another one which causes it not to display traytip popups.

Isn't first problem related to enabled option "Don't show tips when in fullscreen mode" ( something like that, I'm guessing the name)? Try to disable it and try again.
And there were some fixes to (not) displaying systray tips recently (some weeks/months back). Could you say it works better or worse than in latest stable version?

I couldnt find this option that you were talking about unless you were talking about Customize > Tooltips > Appearance > Window > Show if list not focused, in which case i have tried that option on and off with no change in this behavior. Ive tried fiddling with basically every option in Tipper in the 0.95.5 Dev builds and have had no luck in solving the tray mouse-hover disappearing issue. I made a bug report #1185 about this already however.

EDIT: I managed to figure out what causes the Contact List hover-tooltip to break in Tipper. It is specifically related to hiding the toolbar menu in an active connection of TeamViewer 11 on Windows 7. Updated my bug report with that information and a picture of the toolbar/hide button that causes it to break. The tray tooltip problem still remains a mystery, but that is not related to the Steam protocol or my issues here in any way. I would post about that in the Tipper forum, but i cant seem to find it on the Miranda NG forums, would someone please provide a link for me?
« Last Edit: 06 03 2016, 06:48:30 by Ratha »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #371 on: 06 03 2016, 11:47:36 »
I use clist_modern. But I also use a few other addons so I am not sure which one of them might be doing this, but the option is there.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #372 on: 06 03 2016, 11:54:29 »
I use clist_modern. But I also use a few other addons so I am not sure which one of them might be doing this, but the option is there.
Either clist_modern itself or UserInfoEx plugin does that.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #373 on: 06 03 2016, 13:34:05 »
As far as i can tell there are no options to select which method the protocol uses (Mobile/Web) or alter this (seemingly undesired?) behavior, so should i submit this as a bug report?
I can do nothing about that. I mentioned it because you may try the mobile application (for Android I think) and compare Steam client behavior, so you can see it's (I expect) not Miranda related, but it is Steam itself doing that. Also you can try Pidgin and it's steam plugin that work similar to Miranda one, and again you can compare whether it behaves same.

If all behaves the same, there is no way to "fix" that.

I would post about that in the Tipper forum, but i cant seem to find it on the Miranda NG forums, would someone please provide a link for me?
Looks like there is none, so feel free to create new Tipper topic by yourself.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #374 on: 06 03 2016, 13:47:02 »
If all behaves the same, there is no way to "fix" that.

I tried it using the actual steam web chat, and messages sent by me appear in my opened steam client on my PC. Even if I'm completely signed out of the friends. Incoming messages don't appear in the client, so it's 100% the same behavior as when using miranda and is related to something steam does. Not fixable in miranda I'd say.